Often, classes will require you use specific software or program that is commonly available on cluster computers. The switch to remote learning has made it so that access to these clusters are limited or otherwise impossible. This is where the Remote Cluster Computers come in. Through their use, you can access a virtual machine with loads of Stanford Software. Here we will outline the process of connecting and provide solutions to common problems.
- Make sure to have Stanford's VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) downloaded and active before proceeding.
- Navigate to https://cluster-checkout.stanford.edu/
- Select the Device type. Note that software available can change with the device type. An example is that Adobe Creative Suite is available on a multimedia device, but not a standard one. Available software is listed when you select the device type. You can only connect to a device with the same OS as the one you are using. Continue to the review page
- Acknowledge the review page. It will offer additional information about connecting. Continue to the connect page.
- The connect page looks like this:
to connect to the Cluster Machine, follow the steps below "Quick Connect". You should be able to connect to the remote cluster from there.
As easy as this connection process seems, there is always room for error, the following is a list of issues clients may experience and what they mean
"RD cant Connect to desktop"
Happens when not connected to VPN.
"User Account is not authorized for login"
Happens when the computer is taken, click "Change computers" on the Connect page seen in step 5.
You can guess what this section is. Here we include frequently asked questions and what their answers could be!
"What Software is on the machines?"
The page after device selection should list the available software on the machine. If you are looking to quickly find something, use this page to do a quick search. If it is not listed as being on a Cluster Machine, odds are it won't be on there
"My class wants me to use a specific software not on the cluster machine..."
If it is not currently on the cluster, check out this article . You have better luck installing it to your personal device if not on the preinstalled list. Please reach out to your class teaching team if this is the case.
"Can I save to the desktop?"
The Non-Creative Cluster machines will let you save to the desktop or documents where your files are stored as a part of your user profile. However, it is HIGHLY SUGGESTED that the user use a service like google drive to store files as default.
"Can I use the same shortcut to access the cluster every time"
If that machine is not in use, the same shortcut would work to re-connect to the Cluster Device. However, if it is in use, the user will receive the error shown in the "Common Issues" section.
Additional Questions or Problems
The PTS does not manage this tool. Any additional questions that cannot be found on the webpage, or issues with the service should be directed to email@example.com.